So this weekend is my last weekend in the UK. Potentially for a while. I’m apprehensive because my life is so up in the air right now with my visa, but I’m also super excited because I’m going back to Australia for the first time in 2 years! Whoop! I can’t wait to get home to a summer Christmas and eat all the comfort food that I’ve really missed while I’ve been here (beef sausages, party pies, good Asian food, chunky dips, the list is quite long!).
I also can’t wait to get myself down to a beach as soon as humanly possible. We’ve done a fair bit of travelling around Europe while I’ve been here and I have to say that pebbly beaches just aren’t for me. When I was a kid I used to hate the sand because it somehow manages to wriggle itself into every single crevice and orifice on your body, but I was converted as a teenager. Give me a sandy beach anyday. And Sydney is the perfect place for sandy beach lovers like me. There are well over 70 beaches spread along her beautiful coastline and 5 of them within walking distance of my old house. Ahh, that’s the life, right?!
Another thing I’ve really missed here is doughnuts/donuts (I’m going to stick with donuts). Don’t get me wrong, they have donuts here. They have Krispy Kreme, but Krispy Kreme didn’t reach my Australian mouth until I was about 18, so I’ve grown up on a different type of donut – the cinnamon donut.
I bought a donut pan recently hoping to replicate my beloved cinnamon donut, and discovered that dipping it in butter then cinnamon and sugar just isn’t the same as frying it, so I gave up on that idea. I thought that baked donuts just couldn’t be the same as store-bought deep-fried ones.
Then I discovered this recipe from Averie Cooks and everything I thought about baked vs fried donuts changed. These baked vanilla donuts are perfect, and unlike a lot of recipes I’ve found, they aren’t just cakes shaped like donuts, these actually taste like donuts. They have the denseness of cinnamon donuts and with the vanilla glaze, they are simply scrumptious! I’m a little ashamed to say that Iain and I ate the 6 of them in a matter of minutes! What piggies! Nomnomnom!
Baked Vanilla Donuts with Vanilla Glaze
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 10 minutes
1 cup plain flour
⅓ cup caster sugar
1 tsp baking powder
¼ tsp cinnamon
½ tsp salt
⅓ cup buttermilk
½ tsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp butter, melted
½ cup icing sugar
½ tsp vanilla
2-3 tsp single cream
1 tsp hot water
- Preheat oven to 170ºC/325ºF/Gas Mark 3. Grease a 6 hole donut tin.
- Mix flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt in a large bowl. Add buttermilk, egg, vanilla, and melted butter and mix well.
- Spoon batter into a ziploc bag, snip off the corner and squeeze into donut tin. This is the most accurate way I’ve found of getting the batter from bowl to pan!
- Bake for approx. 10 minutes until donuts are lightly golden and a skewer inserted into them comes out clean. Allow to cool in pan while making the glaze.
- For the glaze: Mix icing sugar, vanilla and 1 tsp of single cream in a small bowl. Add 1 tsp of hot water and mix well. It should be quite thick still, so add more cream as needed, 1 tsp at a time, mixing well after each addition.
Recipe from Averie Cooks, rewritten.