I am so excited right now. You will never guess what happened today. I got tickets to Wimbledon Centre Court for tomorrow! And I didn’t have to camp overnight in ‘The Queue.’ I don’t know if it’s a little known fact, but I’m going to pretend it is, but there are some tickets that go on sale online 2 days before and the day before play. There are so few though, that they are gone within seconds.
We tried to get some for Saturday’s matches on Thursday and weren’t able to, but this morning, we tried again. I was poised at my work computer at 8:57am refreshing like crazy. And a few seconds after 9am, I got through the online queue and to the checkout. Two coveted tickets to Wimbledon Centre Court. It felt like I had found one of Willy Wonka’s golden tickets!
This is the third Wimbledon that I’ve been in London for and each time Iain and I have talked about camping out in The Queue for tickets, but never really got around to it. This year, we were all set to do it, but then heard that it was supposed to rain tonight and were not keen on camping in the pouring rain with the possibility of still not getting a ticket. So Iain did some research earlier this week and found out about the online ticket sales and we decided that was our best bet.
I’m so freaking excited! Playing on Centre Court tomorrow are Rafael Nadal vs Mikhail Kukushkin, Maria Sharapova vs Alison Riske and Roger Federer vs Santiago Giraldo. All the big guns. I can’t wait.
I’m trying to think of some sort of segue from tennis into this dessert right now, but I can’t, so I’ll just change the topic. ‘Cos I can. These Grilled Nectarines with Brown Sugar Mascarpone are FREAKING amazing. Even I was surprised at how good they were, because they’re so damn simple. Three ingredients is all you need.
Reasons why this dessert is amazing and you should make it right now:
- Warm nectarines are so juicy, soft and all round good.
- They are dipped in brown sugar before they are grilled, producing a toffee-like layer on top which is In. Cred. Ible.
- It’s such a light dessert but with some sublime flavours. Perfect for warm, carefree summer evenings.
- They take all of like 7 minutes to whip up.
- Mascarpone. That is all.
Grilled Nectarines with Brown Sugar Mascarpone
Prep Time: 3 minutes
Cooking Time: 4 minutes
1 ripe nectarine, halved, stone removed
1½ tbsp brown sugar, divided
2 tbsp mascarpone
- Preheat a grill pan on the stove over medium heat. Measure a piece of baking paper large enough to fit the two halves (or more) of the nectarines, about 20cm x 10cm for 2 halves. In a small bowl, add 1 tbsp of brown sugar. Dip each nectarine half cut-side down in the brown sugar to coat.
- Carefully lay prepared baking paper on the grill pan, and place nectarines on top, cut-side down. Cook for about 2 minutes, then turn so that the cut-side faces up. The brown sugar will have become like toffee on the baking paper during this time. Quickly spoon any excess toffee from the baking paper onto the top of the nectarine before it hardens. Cook for another 2 minutes, then remove from heat. Serve immediately topped with brown sugar mascarpone.
- For brown sugar mascarpone: in a small bowl add mascarpone and stir remaining ½ tbsp of brown sugar into it. I usually do this while the nectarines are cooking and also add any remaining brown sugar that the nectarines were dipped into to the mascarpone, because sweet = good!