A moist butter cake swirled with a sweet and tangy lemon curd then sprinkled with an easy crumble topping. The perfect cake for any occasion. And so easy to throw together.
It’s my last week of work this week! I don’t think it’s fully hit me yet. I feel excited and also sad to be leaving such an awesome job, but at the same time it still feels like a regular working week. I’m sure come Friday it’ll be a completely different story and I’ll be freaking out about it all.
We still have so much to do before moving/travelling, but I think we’ve given ourselves enough time between finishing work this week and flying to Africa next week. I just keep repeating my life mantra, ‘Everything will be okay’ over and over again. And it will be, I know it! Only a heap of sorting, packing and cleaning to go!
I don’t have a segue into this Lemon Curd Crumb Cake, so I’m just going to dive right in. This cake is incredible! I am in love with it. So much so that I’ve made it three times in the last three weeks. And it totally wasn’t because I failed the first two times! But they were mostly just un-photogenic fails, so I’m being honest when I say I really do love this cake. I failed the first time because I used a pan that was too small, so the batter overflowed massively. The second time I moved up to a slightly larger pan, but it still wasn’t deep enough, so overflow part two happened. Both cakes tasted delicious though. Then I finally learnt my lesson and used a spring-form pan. Third time was a charm.
The lemon curd is what makes this cake. It brings an awesomeness that can’t be achieved if you only flavour the batter with lemon juice and zest. It gives the cake an incredibly sweet and tangy lemon flavour along with a smooth, velvety texture in every bite. I recommend making some of my homemade lemon curd to use, but you’re welcome to use store-bought if you’re short on time.
Lemon Curd Crumb Cake
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 50 minutes
3 tbsp caster sugar
¼ cup brown sugar
1 cup plain flour
1½ cups plain flour
1 cup caster sugar
1½ tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
2 tbsp milk
1 tbsp lemon juice
½ cup homemade lemon curd (or store-bought)
- Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4. Grease and line the base and grease the sides of a 23cm round spring-form pan.
- Melt the butter for both the streusel and cake (205g total) in a small saucepan over medium-low heat for 3-5 minutes, until completely melted. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Make Streusel: Measure ⅓ cup melted butter from the saucepan and add to a medium bowl, along with caster and brown sugars. Combine, then add flour and mix well until a crumbly mixture forms. Set aside.
- For the cake, combine plain flour, caster sugar, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. Make a well in the centre. In a separate medium bowl, combine the remaining melted butter (just over ½ cup), eggs, milk and lemon juice. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ones and stir until all the dry mixture is incorporated.
- Pour mixture into prepared pan, and gently dollop lemon curd on top. Use a knife or skewer to gently swirl curd into cake mixture. Sprinkle crumble mixture on top of the cake mixture until no cake batter can be seen. Bake for 45-50 minutes, until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean of cake batter (there may be some lemon curd that sticks to it). Allow to cool in pan for about 10 minutes, then remove from pan and cool on a wire rack.